Concerned that S.744 repeats many of the same mistakes as the 1986 amnesty bill in addition to breaking numerous promises to the American people, Senators Ted Cruz, (R-TX), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Mike Lee (R-UT) sent a “Dear Colleague” letter to their fellow members of the U.S. Senate outlining their opposition to the bill:
Americans expect their government to end the lawlessness, not surrender to it. They deserve immigration reform with actual border security, enforcement of the laws on the books, and a legal immigration system that works. We must welcome and celebrate legal immigrants, but S. 744 fails to deliver anything more than the same empty promises Washington has been making for 30 years.
- Provides immediate legalization without securing the border
- Rewards criminal aliens, absconders, and deportees and undermines law enforcement
- Contains extremely dangerous national security loopholes
- Facilitates fraud in our immigration system
- Creates no real penalties for illegal immigrants and rewards them with entitlements
- Delays for years the implementation of E-Verify
- Does not fix our legal immigration system
- Advanced through a process predicated on a deal struck before markup
- Rewards those who have broken our laws by offering a special path to citizenship
Help Thank These Senators!
|Send a tweet today to thank them.Tweet to @ChuckGrassley
Tweet to @SenTedCruz
Tweet to @SenatorSessions
Read the letter below or visit NoAmnesty.org to see a PDF.